Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 20:13:28 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "James A. Arnold" <JArnold@knightridder.com>, "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Subject:   Re: AMD761 or KT266A advice

5/20/2002 6:02:36 PM, "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 May 2002 11:06:25 -0400, James A. Arnold wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the insights. I was considering the Abit KR7A
>>until I stumbled onto the fact that those boards don't
>>take advantage of ECC memory functions:
[snip]

Why do you want (need?) ECC memory?  AIUI (though I'm by no
means an expert, and could easily have this wrong), ECC memory is
just a bit slower because of the error-correction functions, and is
therefore usually used only where it is absolutely critical to avoid errors,
e.g., in servers.  (I haven't priced it recently, but my dim(m;) memory is
that it costs more, too.)

Jud