Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:19:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Lixfeld <carrera@idirect.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   caching nameserver problems...

Recently, at the suggestion of an email, I attmepted to setup a caching
nameserver on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 system.  I'm having a bit of trouble..

First off:  When I finished all of the updates for the caching nameserver,
I rebooted the system.  Everything went fine, until the rc file took
over.  It was running OK, until it got to 'Clearing vi sessions'.  The
system appeared to halt, but that was not the case.  It just took
literally 5 minutes for it to do these checks, it then proceeded to give
me the login prompt.  This was curious as it was fine up to the point that
I added in the updates for the caching nameserver.  I logged in, and typed
'ppp' to start ppp, this too took over 5 minutes to do anything but show
the program credits.  Everything appears to work FINE, it's just that
there is lag from something.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

BTW:  I have the /etc/sysconfig setup for ifconfigging 'inet localhost'
(It was previously set to 'inet 127.0.0.1') and it configures lo0 ok.  I'm
also running named, and it too appears to be in good working order (As
everything shows as ok when the system boots up).

Thanks again..

Jason Lixfeld