Date:      25 May 1999 17:00:48 +0100
From:      Terry Glanfield <terry@program-products.co.uk>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console terminal server and power loss

Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com> writes:
>  Personally, I've only had one power supply fail on a PC, and that's
>  because a screw on the fan came loose, fell down, and shorted it out
>  (what a smell.)   But - it can certainly happen.  You may be over-engineering
>  though...

Its probably overkill but I'd rather get it right than pay the
consequences later.

>  Here's another question - can you configure the sun Boot proms
>  not to drop into the monitor on a <break>?   I'm not sure if you
>  can or can't - and - if you did, how would you enter the monitor?
>  (Maybe another character, like <cntrl>-@?)

I've not found anything along those lines but will keep on looking.

>  But - now that I think about it; I've got a Sun here who's console
>  is a serial console connected to a FreeBSD box... I can turn the
>  FreeBSD box on-and-off without affecting the Sun box... so, it
>  must be doable somehow (this is an old Sun IPC which has the older
>  boot monitor.)  Maybe mine is set up in a nice way.  You may want
>  to look at the OpenBoot 2.x Command Reference Manual.

Great, at least its possible.  What serial card are you using in that
box?  I've tried a couple of 16450s and 16550As both of which send a
break when powered down.

I've yet to dig deeper into the OpenBoot manual but will do so
overnight.

>  I just tried it - I can kermit in to the box, and do a break; the
>  machine drops into the monitor....  Something is going on, but
>  I'm not sure what (maybe the Sun only "listens" to the break
>  if CD is on?)

I've tried various combinations of ttya-ignore-cd and ttya-rts-dtr-off
without luck.  Could you send me you eeprom settings?  Maybe there's
something I haven't spotted.

My hope now is that there is a serial card out there which will leave
the circuit open when the power it dropped rather than dragging the
line down to zero.  Any takers?

Cheers,
Terry.