Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:31:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

> >There is a difference between tools dependencies and product
> >dependencies.  The InterJet is a closed box, and does not
> >ship with a ful developement environment.
>
> What about the many GNU userland utilities -- e.g. grep?
> Surely some of these are available for administration,
> debugging, recovery, execution by scripts, etc.

Or SAMBA, which we also shipped on the box?

These were tactical, not strategic; shipping source for these
wouldn't matter, since they don't contain any intellectual
property that matters to anyone.  Let people demand the code
if they want: we include a web page with links to the source
to everything they could demand, right on the box.

FWIW, though: no.  These utilities are not available for
administration, recovery, or execution of scripts.  They
are available for debugging, but only to Whistle engineering
people (or people who've left, like Archie, Julian, and me,
who happen to know the magic incantations and the secret
handshake).  We all have FreeBSD systems or net access, so
we already have source code to these bits.

If you think these things would need to be exposed, then
you've missed the concept of "embedded system": all InterJet
administration was and is intended to be performed via a
limited set of externalized interfaces, predominantly the
web UI.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---