Date:      26 Aug 1998 21:09:57 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Almost Back...

Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> writes:
> > > 	Here is the message file from usr.bin/cmp.  You can ignore
> > > 	number 2.  In French, 2 translates to ``2 cmp : %s : %s\n''
> > > 	because of their grammar requiring whitespace after the
> > > 	colon.

No, it doesn't. Our typographical rules (as definied by the JO) do.

> 	I can see the English to French translation of
>
> 	``usage:''   to  ``utilisation :''
>
> 	perhaps.  Or in usage strings in #3, #4, and #5 below.  Places
> 	where it would not break any scripts.

"Usage" is correct, but perhaps a little stilted. "utilisation" sounds
a little long but is otherwise OK.

> 	My inclination is to go with ``fin-de-fichier'' to get away
> 	from a little of the Unix terseness in the French version.
> 	I wouldn't care for EOF to be rewritten ``end-of-file''
> 	only because I'm so used to it.

I'd go for "Fin de fichier" without hyphens.

> > > 4 "cmp: only one of -l and -s may be specified.\n"
> > 4 "cmp: les options -l et -s sont exclusives l'une de l'autre.\n"
> > 4 "cmp: -l et -s ne peuvent ^etre employés simultanément"
>
> 	Comments?  (Mine only upon request :)

"cmp: -l et -s ne peuvent être employées simultanément.\n"

(note the extra 'e' in "employées")

> > > 	PS:  I'd like to set up a review group in each language
> > > 	in case there are disagreements on specific wordings.
> > > 	My bias is to aim toward clarity rather than brevity or
> > > 	literalness.

Put me on the list.

> 	Yes:: dictionary!  I've used to German variants for ``usage''
> 	and this needs to be resolved; having an expression-dictionary
> 	that was agreeable to the majority would have obviated this
> 	problem.

There exists at least one (very thick) English-French dictionary of EE
and CS terms, but unfortunately it seems to have been written by an
electrical engineer with limited computing experience. May be useful
though. ISTR my mother has a copy.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no