Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:45:43 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        The fine people at <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NO_CONFIGURE and NO_PATCH

Working on the port of my mergemaster script (PR 7910 :) I came across
something interesting regarding NO_PATCH and NO_CONFIGURE. According to
bsd.port.mk these features are deprecated.

# Note that there are no NO_PATCH or NO_CONFIGURE variables becuase
# those steps are empty by default.

	However, when I run 'make' in my very simple port (just the script and
the man file, no sub-dir, no makefile, no configure, no patches
directory) the "patch" and "configure" targets are still called. My
reading of bsd.port.mk seems to say that if there is no patches
directory the patch target shouldn't be called at all. I'm not sure
about the configure target, but it would be nice if it weren't called
when not needed as well.

	Neither of these are major problems, I'm more concerned with the
aesthetics of the thing. I'd like to avoid extra time/annoyance for what
should be empty targets in my little port. At the same time, in my
experience small things like this can sometimes be indicators of larger
problems, so I felt it was worth bringing to your attention, esepecially
with all the changes in bsd.port.mk lately.

blessings,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

"Yes, the president should resign. He has lied to the American people,
time and time again, and betrayed their trust. He is no longer an
effective leader. Since he has admitted guilt, there is no reason to put
the American people through an impeachment. He will serve absolutely no
purpose in finishing out his term; the only possible solution is for the
president to save some dignity and resign."

- William Jefferson Clinton, 1974