Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:45:40 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gui editors - mostly just griping (you've been warned) I gotta vent somewhere.

Thus spake rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >
> > On 2002-06-11 09:57 +0200, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > > I thought vi and emacs were the only Unix editors anyway...
> >
> > These are lies of the Emacs and vi folk.
> > The only *real* editor of UNIX is ed(1).
[snip]
> Will it syntax highlight FORTRAN?  Thats what led me to nedit
> originally.  Now I prefer it for everything.  Rob.

ed does not do syntax highlighting; however, this is planned for the
next major release, along with a spell checker and a GUI.

Emacs does anything you want[1], provided you have enough gigs of RAM
and you know the appropriate incantations.  (And yes, it does have a
FORTRAN mode, so there's no need to write one.)  I've used Emacs for
two years and I still don't understand it, but I tweaked it enough
that it approximates what I want better than any other editor I have
tried.

[1] Okay, so you can't presently write an elisp program to solve the
halting problem.  This is because there is no need; Eliza (M-x doctor)
can solve it for you.