Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 18:53:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad Ethernet cards

> > sell for approx US$60 here. Programmed I/O on the PCI bus should not be
> > slow at all.
>
> It doesn't matter what sort of bus it's on; if the CPU has to do all
> the work, when it could (should) be doing higher-level processing, then
> performance is going to suck.  There is no way around it.

The bus' speed changes things a lot.

An ethernet has a bandwidth of 1MB/s.  I agree that on the ISA bus
you are likely to move data at 2MB/s or so, thus the CPU overhead
is 50% just for getting data from the board. But moving data on
VLB or PCI bus with programmed I/O is much faster (possibly limited
by the on-board memory speed, but many boards use 25ns or so SRAMS).
On the VLB I have measured at least 10MB/s, on the PCI I expect
the number to be higher, possibly around 20MB/s. Thus the CPU
overhead is at most 5% per card, assuming you consume the whole
bandwidth of the net segment.

This is something that I can afford, except perhaps for a multiport
high speed router.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/