Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:53:09 -0700
From:      Etienne de Bruin <et@quidel.com>
To:        'John Baldwin' <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Etienne de Bruin <et@quidel.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: release.8 (4.3-RELEASE)

But what does this accomplish in the contect of release.8 if our purpose is
to 'copy' all the binaries to the new mfsroot?

On 18-Jul-01 Etienne de Bruin wrote:
> I was reading the Makefile in /usr/src/release and wondering about the
>
> for dir in bin sbin ; do \
>   ln -sf /stand $$dir; \
> done
>
> part in release.8 - it is my understanding that all that is under /stand
is
> linked to files in $$dir.
>
> What does this accomplish?

No, it links $$dir to /stand.  This creates /sbin and /bin directories so
that
you can still see /bin/ls even though ls is really in /stand/ls.  This is to
make a "normal" path work right, and to allow scripts which assume the
default
location of utilities work.