Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 02:04:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        rnielsen@cariari.ucr.ac.cr (Jose Pablo Coto Rojas)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Turning the computer off

After exiting X:

# shutdown -h now

This will sync the disks properly and set the clean flag on the disks you
have mounted at the time.  Don't just turn off the computer - it's not
just a bad idea anymore, it's a really bad idea. :-)

The shutdown command goes through, kills off all of the daemons that are
running, gives processes a chance to exit politely and clean up after
themselves, and then just kills them, and does the abovementioned disk
synching (making sure what the kernel thinks is supposed to be on the
disks is actually on the disks).

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)