Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:24:48 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
>
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, John Prince wrote:
>
> > Hello Doug.
> > Thanks for the reply..
> > We will test again, however last test, dma mode did nothing.
> > (set via atacontrol mode ..)
>
> That's probably not going to do it for you. Put the following in
> /boot/loader.conf.local (create if needed) and reboot:
>
> hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

Very handy info Doug, thanks. (especially for all the people w/ 4.6
setup problems)

I've been trying to get DMA to work on ATAPI CDROMs for quite a while
now to no avail.  All my FBSD boxes are SCSI-based, but many of them
have IDE CDROMs.  I always just thought using PIO for a fast drive
was dumb, but it worked, and the HD's are all SCSI, so I didn't
bother any further with it. I tried this option to the kernel
configuration file:

options		ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA

But it never did anything.  Now I see that doesn't even appear in the
LINT file going back to 4.3, so it's probably old/deprecated.  Thanks
to your suggestion, I now have DMA working on an old ASUS P2L97 board
(dmesg shows "WDMA2") and an Intel L440GX+ Dual P3 server system.
(dmesg shows "UDMA33")

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium