Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 10:27:29 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Joe Nieten <jln@lincom-asg.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net, nate@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

> > Thanks for the response, but someone else has already informed me that
> > FreeBSD does not and will not support JDK 1.2 until the Blackdown source
> > code is released.
>
> I'll need to dig backward in email but I am not sure that was an
> authoritative response.

Here's an authoratative response (which isn't saying much).

The chance of a FreeBSD JDK1.2 coming before the Blackdown diffs are
released is small to none.  They have done a bunch of work that we would
benefit from, and we're just finishing up the last bits of JDK1.1.8.

> >From my limited experience with 1.2 on Solaris, it's not fit for
> release.

JDK1.2 is unfit for real use on *all* platforms IMO, but that doesn't
mean we shouldn't have it for developers.

Nate