Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 21:08:39 +0100
From:      se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        ache@nagual.ru ("=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=@octopussy (Andrey A. Chernov)"), current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Call for national time locales

On Nov 29, phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp) wrote:
> >POSIX wants 3-letter abbreviation here, but in real life
> >Germans and Russians use 2-letters abbreviations.
>
> >Final space is more bogus than initial one in cases like
> >Fr , 29 Nov 1006 20:29:37 (ARPA-like),
>              ^^^^
> I know that the ARPA net was old, but... :-)
>
> I still think it is bogus.  If they say "3-letter", then
> "Fr " isn't allowable, neither is " Fr".

Well, I think that "Mon", "Die", "Mit", "Don", "Fre", "Sam", "Son"
are as good as the two letter abbreviations, and while I do not have
any calendar with the 3 letter abbreviation at hand (but one, that
uses a single character throughout :), I think you will easily find
the 3 character form if you only look for it.

For that reason, I think that the 3 character form should be used.

Regards, STefan