Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:34:01 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Vitor de Matos Carvalho <vitor@softinfo.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Brazil time zone file sets DST incorrectly

On 2002-Oct-17 11:02:34 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>On Thursday, 17 October 2002 at  9:35:40 +1000, Christopher Vance wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 04:31:57PM -0300, Vitor de Matos Carvalho wrote:
>>> Detected the DST problem, because the Security Team did not notify?

I fail to see how either FreeBSD-Core or the FreeBSD Security team can
be held responsible for failing to notify people of the implications
of decisions make by the Brazilian parliament.

It might have been preferable if these time changes were imported into
FreeBSD earlier, but IMHO, Vitor needs to take more responsibility for
the correct operation of systems under his control.  If correct DST
transitions are important to you and you are aware that the official
DST rules covering your system have changed recently, you should
verify that the changes have been installed (eg using zdump).

I notice that the Brazilian zoneinfo rules include the comment:
# For dates after mid-2002, the following rules are guesses
# and are quite possibly wrong, but are more likely than no DST at all.
This suggests that if Brazilian time is important to you, you should
independently verify that the rules are correct.

>Note that these changes are not the same as Vitor's, and they contain
>reasoning we haven't seen before.  About the only thing that hasn't
>happened is closing the PR.  I'll see about getting that done.

Shouldn't this wait until the updates are MFC'd.

Peter