Date:      11 Mar 2002 14:10:23 +0100
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Offtopic about postfix.

webmaster@ptt.ru ("Aleksey I. Yurlov") writes:

> There is very strange situation with postfix mta, I think that it is
> postfix.

> Situation is:
> Match mail clients (Mozilla, Outlook) have the opportunity to save
> messages in mailbox of mail server. For this day I thought, that this
> service client-dependable, but when I try to check with this option
> mail from Outlook Express in os WindowsXP (only this os) from my local
> Postfix server on FreeBSD 4.2-R box - it didnt' work. With other (in
> the network) mail servers - this option works with this client
> fine. May be there are some additional tunings with Postfix or may be
> there are  some RFC's about this "save messages handshakes", patches?
> May be /dev/hands?

Remote clients can only use postfix by talking SMTP.

SMTP doesn't know about "local mailboxes" it just knows about
addresses.  Postfix is no different it hides the information about the
local mailboxes which exist and no you can't temporarily use it to
store messages in a mailbox.

In that respect sendmail, qmail and other SMTP servers are no
different.

Perhaps you are talking about an imap server which can I think do this.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager