Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:51:56 +0100
From:      "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        <remy@boostworks.com>
Cc:        <dmobrien@lucent.com>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ejc@bazzle.com>
Subject:   Re: SB Vibra16x, no sound (fbsd 4.1 release)

> I appreciate your willing to make our stupid users life a little
> easier. Tell me where I can send you a "perfectly standard SB16/PCI"
> sample featuring a "perfectly-compatible-AC'97 CT1297-TAT".

i'll send you my address privately.  if i recieve the card i should be able
to make it work.

> 1) I have two exact sample of this "SB16/PCI" card. One working (have
> an AC'97 marked chip), one not working (the CT1297 featured one). This
> is the _only_ difference between the cards.

one of the chips i was referring to is the es1370 which was used on certain
ensoniq audiopci cards and sb16pci cards.

> 4) I'm astounded to see no mention of this in any lists. Only: "Hey,
> this card doesn't works !!" and "No problems here".

you are the only person that i know of to have one of these cards, unless
what you are seeing is a totally different problem that exists with certain
es1371/ct5880 revisions for which a fix is in-current.  please email me the
output from pciconf -l.

> Sorry if i felt that someone could be helped, in the future, by this
> information. I can feel how difficult it can be maintaining drivers
> with hardware that change once a week.

that does not excuse you telling someone to trash a card which could be
supported with a little effort.  the aim is for freebsd to support all
soundcards as well as possible, and simply giving up on discovering a card
listed as supported but not working does not help us attain that goal.  far
better to notify either me (cg@freebsd.org), orion (orion@freebsd.org), or
george (greid@freebsd.org) or the author listed in the driver that should
support the card and to be prepared to send the card to that person to
enable testing of fixes.

people providing information to help others is good- if that information is
correct.  it would not have taken much effort for you to check whether the
information you were going to give applied to the person you were giving it
to, so please do check in future.  this applies to everyone reading this,
not just you.

    -cg