Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:17:40 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: dvd+rw-format -force problem]

>> I haven't felt the need to fully blank a DVD+RW for a while untill
>> today.

Andy> Formally speaking blanking is not appicable to
Andy> DVD+RW. dvd+rw-format -force merely zeros bitmap which describes
Andy> which ECC blocks were de-iced/written to and nullifies few
Andy> blocks in the beginning of the media. It's not what one would
Andy> normally consider as [full] blanking. If you want to nullify the
Andy> media, e.g. for privacy reasons, 'dvd+rw-format -force
Andy> /dev/cd0c' won't do the tick, 'growisofs -Z /dev/cd0c=/dev/zero'
Andy> would.

I don't know how other people's experiences have been, but my drive
hasn't been doing well with DVD+RW media.  I have the Dell D800 laptop
with Dell's DVD combo drive.

It writes CD-R and CD-RW media normally.  DVD+R's have also worked
well for me.  The several DVD+RW's that i've bought, however, have all
come out with corrupt data.

... now on one of them, I can actually see a spot that looks blank
(unrecorded) in the middle of the recorded area ... it's a circle
about 1mm or so in size.

... so this might just be bad media.  I've been thinking of trying to
return it.

... but I've also been thinking of zeroing the media to see if
rewriting to it is more successful afterwards (as rewriting several
different data sets hasn't had good effect so far.

Dave

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |