Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:00:27 GMT
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/149168: [linux] [patch] Linux sendmsg / recvmsg / etc fixes for pulseaudio

The following reply was made to PR kern/149168; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To: John Wehle <john@feith.com>
Cc: rdivacky@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/149168: [linux] [patch] Linux sendmsg / recvmsg / etc fixes
 for pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:54:31 +0200

 on 08/03/2011 09:32 John Wehle said the following:
 > Enclosed is yet another slightly tweaked and lightly tested version.
 >
 > I made a bootable amd64 drive which mirrors my existing i386 system
 > so I was able to test these changes on both amd64 and i386.
 >
 > Changes from previous:
 >
 >   1) Include changes to amd64/linux32/linux32_dummy.c.
 >
 >   2) Use PTRIN in LINUX_CMSG_FIRSTHDR and LINUX_CMSG_NXTHDR so
 >      linux_socket.c compiles without complaints on amd64.
 >
 >   3) Invoke LINUX_CMSG_NXTHDR with the correct variable (basically
 >      I missed a place in my last round of changes).

 Thanks a lot!  This patch works as expected for me.
 Unless anybody objects or wants to hold this patch for further reviewing I will
 try to commit it this coming weekend.

 > Notes:
 >
 >   1) This has been tested on both i386 and amd64 with Fedora 10 paplay
 >      (client) talking to FreeBSD 8.2 pulseaudio (server) over both TCP
 >      and UNIX domain sockets.
 >
 >   2) PulseAudio generates the socket name slightly differently between
 >      FreeBSD and Linux.  When using UNIX domain sockets please set
 >      PULSE_SERVER prior to invoking the client application.  E.g.:
 >
 >        setenv PULSE_SERVER unix:/tmp/pulse-J1eO0ABCS0DM/native
 >
 >      where /tmp/pulse-J1eO0ABCS0DM/native is the name of the FreeBSD
 >      PulseAudio socket.  Someone knowledgeable may be able to muck
 >
 >        /usr/compat/linux/etc/pulse/client.conf
 >
 >      so this is not necessary.

 Looks like the pulseaudio developers changed their mind about the separator
 somewhere between versions 0.9.14 and 0.9.21.  If we could find a more recent
 package for f10 that would help.  Not sure if a package from later fedora
 versions would work.

 --
 Andriy Gapon