Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Managed vs unmanaged NICs

> I've heard that managed cards are wastes of money under
> Unix-type OSes, but I don't remember why...  Could someone fill
> me in?  :)
> For examples, the Intel 100+ and the 3Com 905B are both
> available as either "managed" or "unmanaged" cards.

   Well, I can't say much about managed vs. unmanaged in general, I can
say that there are some problems I can only describe as 'wierd' with the
intel managed cards.  They only show up rarely, but on some hardware, the
cards just lock up and don't send data anymore.  Intel is aware of the
problem and trying to figure it out... Most hardware works fine... but we
have computers at my work that will work with the older unmanaged cards
that won't work with the new ones. *shrug* beats me.

Jay