Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:58:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File Counts

At Mon, 2 Dec 2002 it looks like Nathan Kinkade composed:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:42:28PM -0500, Kliment Andreev wrote:
> > > How do I get a count of the files in directories?  I need to be able to
> > > get a listing of the number of files in a directory and counts for the
> > > files in each sub-directory.
> >
> > % ls -l | wc -l            (In a directory)
> > % ls -lR | wc -l             (Including sub-directories)
>
> Or, if you are looking for subtotals, something close to this might be
> helpful.  Beware that this will include a count for the "." and ".."
> entries.
>
> $ for dir in `find . -type d`; do echo $dir ; ls -l $dir | wc -l; done

ls -alR | grep ^- | wc -l

That should show you just the "files" and not the directories
but not any symbolic links, to show the symlinks too I'd
probably try:

ls -alR | grep ^[-l] | wc -l

And last but not least, only the directories:

ls -alR | grep ^d | wc -l

Hope that helps a little.

--
Bill Schoolcraft