Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   intern named asking extern named

A client have an internal nameserver, taking care of adresses like
pc12.his.dom and hp7.his.dom

Then somebody else is running dns for the external adresses, like
www.his.dom

If the external dns only has a few adresses, I usually on the internal ns
say
www	IN	NS	ns.external.host.

But this client has several subdomains under his.dom, and a creative
advertising departement.

Is it possible for the internal bind8 first to query its own datafiles, if
it doesn't find a name there, then ask the external nameserver before
declaring "host not found"?

In other words, I want to merge the internal and external adresses, so
both can be seen from the inside.

Leif