Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 19:56:41 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: BIND doesn't want to accept all of my zonefiles..

> >> Or am I misinterpreting the errormessage?
> > You're misinterpreting it. You can't have a CNAME as well as
> > any other form of record for a given entry. For example, "ftp"
> > should have *either* a CNAME *or* an MX record - it can't have
> > both.
>
> Hmm. So I'll have to change
>      IN CNAME web.alpha
>      IN A     195.49.62.125
> not very nice but better than get bombed by errors. Seems like I
> should read DNS and BIND once again but this time a bit more seriously
> *g*. But anyway, I think using
>      IN MX 10 mail-alpha
> *    IN MX 10 web-alpha
> mail IN CNAME mail-alpha
> should save me from setting hardcoded A records in the zonefiles of
> the virtualdomains.

Given what you originally had:

ftp IN CNAME web.alpha

I suspect you should just remove the

ftp IN MX 10 mail.alpha

When someone sends mail to ``ftp'', it'll go to the MX of
web.alpha (or whatever ftp is ultimately a CNAME for).  This is far
better than adding an A record for ``ftp'' as your mail config just
doesn't need to know about ``ftp'' if it's a CNAME.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>