Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:35:27 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hilton" <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        "Freebsd Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Mike Tancsa" <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   RE: freebsd-stable snapshots don't seem to ftp install at all

Mike Tancsa replied,

> Yes, just hit "NO" when it asks you do you want to fetch again, and it
> seems to merrily go on its way to the next stage where you need
> to give it
> the same answer. In the end it works.  See the thread from last
> week about
> this for more details.
>
>          ---Mike

I installed from the 10-10-2001 snapshot last night via burning the snapshot
to CDROM and booting from the floppy set into sysinstall, The failure to
extract, retry error also occurs in this method. By replying "no" to the
retry message the install finished fine and system seems to be O.K.

Also the tip from another list member about adding the -U to the new
filesystem creation options from the preferences screen worked great to
enable softupdates/dirprefs at install time.

How about getting the tools directory added back to the 4.stable snapshots?
or is this a disk space issue?, and fixing the sysinstall retry error.

Thanks to all involved in the FreeBSD project

Regards,

Stephen Hilton