Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:04:22 -0500
From:      "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   shutdown -k & root login from telnet

I've got two issues I'm trying to resolve.

1.  When I do a "shutdown -k now", it doesn't kick off any users.  I created
a regular user with no groups, etc.  Logged in had that user, then from
another telnet session, I logged in as myself and done a shutdown -k.
Nothing happened except that a message was displayed.  When I logged out, I
couldn't log back in, that was good; but I thought users in the wheel groups
would be able to log in?

2.  Why doesn't FreeBSD allow users to login as root from a telnet session
(I know it due to security)?  I had to go to the server to reboot the
system.  I can always su, but I couldn't because of the shutdown -k.  Is
there a way to allow it to?

--Todd