Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:53:30 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADSUP: About to link ALTQ to the build (ABI break)

--Boundary-02=_T39yA0DijV64XFm

All,

as some might know, I recently imported the ALTQ framework with the=20
perspective to replace the existing queueing with this advanced system. Whi=
le=20
ALTQ is designed in a fashion to be API compatible with the old "struct=20
ifqueue" it does break the ABI by chaning the size of ifnet.if_snd!

I am now ready to commit this change. During the first commit I will not=20
change the queueing at all. It will only change the if_snd member of struct=
=20
ifnet and bring in new macros and some build glue.

In a next step I will convert the various if_output routines (in if_*subr.c=
)=20
to use the new ENQUEUE/HANDOFF operations.

The final step then is to convert the network drivers to use the new DEQUEU=
E=20
operations and to flip the per-driver flag that indicates that the driver i=
s=20
ready for ATLQ.

The new DEQUEUE operation also bring along some extra candy in terms of=20
reducing locking overhead: It will now be possible to do "bulk dequeues" i.=
e.=20
transfering more than one packet from the system to the driver with only on=
e=20
lock operation. The amount of packets transfered at once is tuneable.=20
Enabling ALTQ on a device will disable bulk dequeue to avoid irritations wi=
th=20
the timing, though.

The patch is at: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/altq.patch

I plan to commit this Sunday night(CEST) provided that no problems occure w=
ith=20
the newly merged socket locking et al.

=2D-=20
Best regards,				| mlaier@freebsd.org