Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:29:47 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: separate udma66 controller possible, when only having udma33 bios

>I want to buy the new Maxtor 40 GB EIDE drive, 7200 U/min
>for my FreeBSD system. My 4 2GB SCSI disks (IBM DORS 31260)
>are too small now and too loud for a home system.
>
>I have a TYAN Titan Pro board with 2 PPro 200. The last BIOS
>upgrade I did, made udma33 possible.
>>I think the drive would also run fine with udma33, or ???

Hi!

Well, should... there are always some issues with those drives only being
able to do UDMA33, but there are also some utils (including firmware
up/downgrades) that will fix that.

>If I want to get the most speed out of the new disk, I would need
>udma66 support. But how do I get udma66, if my mainbords BIOS only
>supports udma33 ???
Not by mainboard assistance.
But to run UDMA/66, you also need the special 80-wire cabling, IIRC
UDMA/66 also will do something better to CPU utilization, but unless you
are not having some more of that beasts in your machine, there will be no
big difference to UDMA/33.

>Would I be able to run udma66, if I would buy a separate EIDE
>pci controller and disabling the EIDE controller on my mainboard ?
>Or is this completely BIOS dependend ???
Those Promise and Abit etc. Controllers come with their on BIOS.
Therefore, if you buy one of these (about 100 DM here in Germany (~U$50))
you are able to do UDMA/66.

c't mag uses an old ASUS TP4XE with a P100(Triton chip)with a Promise
controller to do benchmarks on UDMA drives.

>Tyan itself offers currently no other BIOS upgrade for this board.
>If I would need a BIOS upgrade, is there another possibility
>to upgrade my BIOS ? Or do I need BIOS upgrades from my board
>manufacturer ?
There are in normal cases only BIOS upgrades from the mobo manufacturer.
But there are some third-party-companies that also do some BIOS programming
for older mobos, but I fear that there will be nothing for SMP boards. Also
the money they charge is sometimes more expensive than the new UDMA/66
controller...
And that would be a supported piece of hardware...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)