Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 17:45:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        robert@chalmers.com.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Dial-Up PPP]

> I tell you what. There must be an easier method than all this poxing
> about with a couple of dozen config files, with examples for everything
> except what we need. It's worse than UUCP!

A couple dozen config files?  Gee, and I only need two (or three, if
you're feeling like somebody might want to take you off-line).  You
must be coing *something* wrong.

> Well, I've read the manual. I've even had ppp working. But each time
> I come back to it, I get involved in stuffing around with a slightly
> different setup.

Hmmm.  Mine's been stable since I switched to using PAP 17 months ago.
I edit it every 6 months when my ISP makes me change my password.  You
*must* be doing something wrong.

> This time, the site I'm dialing into is a PAP site. This means that the
> connection simply sits there waiting for the PAP authentication, so
> manual dialing wont work. I dial in and get CONNECTED 38400 and thats
> it.

*You* must be doing something wrong.  "set openmode active" in the
dailing configuration (in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf) will fix this if you're
using iijppp.

> Well Kevin. I tried everything, and although I can get it to dial the
> site, thats as far as I get. I guess its that ppp.secret file.

Nope, its the openmode discussed above.  The ppp.secret file just
allows you to password protect the ppp daemon while it's running.  If
you don't have a ppp.secret file anyone at all can telnet to port 3000
on your machine and shut down ppp.  Delete your ppp.secret file until
you have ppp working.

> Anyway, thanks for your clear description to the other chap, it
> certainly helped.

To make PAP work, use "enable pap" and "disable chap" in your
configuration.  ("accept" is only for other systems dialing into
yours.)  If the initial conversation between the two systems never
starts after the modems connect, add the "set openmode active" to tell
ppp on your side that it needs to start the conversation.  By default,
ppp waits for the other end to start the "LCP" conversation.