Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:21:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        gt@freebsd.first.gmd.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/io

> Hi there,
> I am running current from around 11. May.
> I try to open /dev/io as user 'dose.wheel' with the following permissions:
>  crw-rw----  1 dose  wheel    2,  14 Mar 24 13:14 /dev/io
> but get always 'Operation not permitted' errors. I must be root.
> Is the man page to old or did I miss something?

Can you please tell us the exact operation you tried?  A code snippet
would be nice.

> BTW. FreeBSD.ORG is not reachable from 160.45.2.xxx. Who is the
>      person I could ask about this problem?

Find the outage.  RTFM: traceroute(8).  It's usually going to be your
local network, so try your local admin.  If it's not, then wait a
little while; TCP/IP is designed to be self-healing, so many problems
will sort themselves out in a short time (could be two minutes).  Some
problems require human intervention, and may take all day.  If it is
not your LAN, then talk to your upstream.  They can usually sort
things out.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--