Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:39:28 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

John Baldwin wrote:

> What happened is that binutils was upgraded from 2.9 to 2.10 in both -current
> and -stable, and the old and new binutils weren't compatible.  So, you had to
> installworld before building your kernel (which is what I did, and always do in
> fact).  However, this made some people uncomfortable, so a 'buildkernel' target
> was made to work around this one problem.

No. The buildkernel target was created to support a source upgrade path
and cross-building. It's been there since 4.0-RELEASE. The use of
buildkernel has been advocated as the supported way of building a
kernels, because it handles the difficult upgrade cases (such as the
binutils upgrade) and thus works best for the uninitiated. The
buildkernel target was, however, not designed for use as the preferred
way to build any and all kernels, and it's this discrepancy that's
making people unhappy in all sorts of ways and is the result of all
kinds of misperceptions and bogus conclusions.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org