Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:30:46 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I  have noticed that the freebsd-questions list is incredibly heavy.
The previous emails in this thread are on the ball, I believe.
Recently I have also joined the OSF-mangaers list. (Digital Unix) which has
an incredible system, described at :

But the main thing about it is this :
[quote]
    4.This list is intended to be a quick-turnaround troubleshooting aid
for those who
       administer and manage Alpha AXP systems runnning Digital UNIX
(formerly OSF/1).
       Its primary purpose is to provide the Alpha manager with a quick
source of information
       for time-critical system management problems.

    5.Answers to questions are to be mailed back to the questioner and are
not to be sent to
       the entire list. The person who originally asked the question has
the responsibility of
       summarizing the answers and sending the entire summary back to the
list. When a
       summary is sent back to the list, it should contain the word
"SUMMARY" as the first
       word of the "Subject" line.
[quote]

This system works !
1. It reduces traffic, much of which will only be relevant to the original
sender.
2. The summaries provide excellent "lessons" from which to learn.
3. Writing summaries means that you really have to find a solution
   and demonstrate that you have learned (oops, bit like school again)
4. Checking the archives search engine is a lot easier.

Probably as a result of this, the turn around time on the OSF-managers list
is the fastest that I have ever seen.

I don't know if this would be appropiate for the FBSD list but I do
fear that I will have to unsubscribe again shortly and will probably miss
some useful information..... due to traffic.

That said, the support for FBSD rocks. This list is one of the best I have
ever seen.

just my 2 cents

chas