Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:19:37 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Joey Beltran <joeybeltran@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Novice to FreeBSD

Joey Beltran wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a novice to FreeBSD and very interested to learn.
>
> I wish to get into sites that will help me and also do I need to learn any
> programming language to get me on the right track.

I assume you already have been at:
  http://www.freebsd.org/ :-)

There's the Handbook. This is probably also installed on your FreeBSD machine.
There are also links to other pages about FreeBSD.

You can also visit:
  http://www.freebsddiary.org/
  http://ezine.daemonnews.org/

What programming language you should learn depend on what you want to do.
At least you should hae a basic knowledge in shell-scripts, as they are all
around your system, and you might need to change them.
Perl (http://www.perl.org/) is a quite useful language, that can take care
of most things, from writing simple CGI-scripts (for the www) to much more
advanced applications.
If you are interested in making nice web-pages, maybe with a databasecon-
nection you probably would like to learn PHP (http://www.php.net/).
If you want to make very advanced programming (that of course not allways
has to be advanced :-) you can try out C/C++.

Hope this info did help.

Best regards,
Paul