Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:54:46 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations...

>	I still haven't looked into costs yet, but would I be
>better going with a P6 vs a Dual-P5?  Does anyone have any
>recommendations on which motherboard for either I should be
>looking at?  make/model?  cache?
>	On a costs note...which would I get more 'bang-for-my-buck'
>from?

P6's will definitely give you higher performance.  But, 200MHz P6s are
almost impossible to get right now, and because of that, have gone way
back up in price.  Don't bother with a 180 -- wrong bus speed
(remember, always multiples of 33 1/3).  The P6 166MHz with the 512K
cache is supposed to be a good chip, if you can get it cheap (and
faster than the P6/180-256K).  I've been told that the Tyan dual P6
motherboard is priced very well.  I would avoid SuperMicro -- I
suspect their quality control could use some help.

However, even a "lowly" Pentium will make a Really Excellent *BSD
machine.  So, it might not give you as much absolute punch per dollar,
but it might be possible to do dual-P5 for less overall dollars (and
you could probably get the chips right away).  Definitely try to get
512K cache(s) if you go with a dual-P5.

For What It's Worth...

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net