Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:34:37 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP with PPP and filetring, please !

> Hi ! Thanks to all of you who helped me with this one.
>
> Downloading the latest version made everithing work properly, even
> filtering. and it is not dialing when it is loaded at boot time.
>
> Now, the last problem I will have to solve, before moving to the ppp server
> (accepting calls), is the following:
>
> I want to stop ppp from dialing when I try connecting via telnet or ssh to
> the FBSD box.
>
> To do it with the telnet, I am trying the following:
>

> # DO NOT Allow telnet connections dial out to the Internet
> #
>  set dfilter 2 deny tcp src eq 23 estab
>  set dfilter 3 deny tcp dst eq 23
>

> which is a modification of permit/deny telnet access. It didn't work, and
> reading a lot of documentation didn't help much.
>
> Additionally, I would like to allow Internet access to a couple of user
> only. I know there are filters I can use to do it, but I couldn't find
> examples.
>
> What should I do ?

Looks like you've got your rule numbers wrong ?  You must have a rule
0, otherwise the whole set is ignored.  I have a lot of mods to this
filtering stuff in the pipeline (MP branch of -current), including
some better docs.

Something like

  set dfilter 0 permit tcp 1.2.3.4 0/0 dst eq 23
  set dfilter 1 deny   tcp 0/0     0/0 dst eq 23

should allow IP 1.2.3.4 access to telnet, but disallow everybody else.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;