Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 12:15:11 -0700
From:      billn <billn@yelmtel.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CVSUP - Major Problems

I've been trying for two days to get cvsup running so I can update my
4.5 ports files, ultimately so I can install KDE3.

The documentation is less than clear, and that's an understatement.
	No overview of files and commands required - scattered
	cvsup is not installed even though ports have been installed. When
ports are selected for install, cvsup should be automatically installed,
and the path documented.
	Installing cvsup is nearly impossible since packages is not anywhere
near ports, as documented. I finally got it with /stand/sysinstall,
after wasting three hours trying to get it remote. Always 'No file or no
access' error on remote.
	Once installed, cvsup is not on the path. It's in /usr/local/bin, also
undocumented.
	When I call it with '/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2
/usr/local/etc/cvsup/supfile', it finally worked.

This doc really needs better structure. Overview, step1, step2, etc.

It's a fine program, but install is too difficult.

BTW, I've used Unix 1987-90, linux 96 on, FreeBSD since 2000, so I am
not new at this. Please update the docs as soon as you can.

Bill Nicholls