Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:46:54 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000, Boris Popov wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > In message <20000715013940.A51575@cokane.yi.org>, Coleman Kane writes:
> >
> > >Who is currently working on the DEVFS? I emailed the last person
> > >to commit to the HOWTO and got no response. I'd like to look into
> > >finisheing this, and may start hacking if no one tells me otherwise...
> >
> > bp@ has a non-working prototype, (as has julian@).
>
> 	Poul, I've made a mistake sending you an out of sync and not
> finished code.
>
> > None of them fixes the root-mount kludges.
>
> 	True, it requires some changes to VFS synch code.
>
> > None of them implement cloning devices.
>
> 	Again, wrong. If you disagree on what I've proposed it doesn't
> mean that it didn't work. It is _necessary_ to fix make_dev()
> usage/implementation to make cloning code clean.

Ok, how about you, phk and julian throw up a list of what devfs should do?
I am forming some ideas on how to solve the namespace and device cloning
issues, we might make some forward work on this finally? :-)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and