Date:               Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:05:41 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: more DAT nonsense [2], basically fixed

|  From:           Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
|  Subject:        Re: more DAT nonsense

|  I have a Sony STD-5000 and a Adaptec 1542, I use :
|
|  # dump 0udsf 61000 10240 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rsd0a
|
|  maybe the blocksize is giving you the problem. By not setting
|  blocksize, it defaults to 10k.

By using Jean-Marc's Zucconi's <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr> suggestion, I
was able to determine most of my problem (he says his defaults to 512,
.5K).  Now it works, seemingly pointing the finger at blocksize 0 as the
culprit.

In trying to read a tape I had previously made under Solaris 2.4 with the
same drive, it revealed a blocksize of 1024, 1K.

# dump tvf /dev/rst0
Tape block size (512) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

So I changed it
# mt -f /dev/st0ctl.0 blocksize 1024
# dump tvf /dev/rst0

So I wonder indeed if there is really any particular default: my
original problem seemed to indicate that with blocksize variable (0),
there is a built-in cutoff in restore (or something else) of 64K.  In
other words, I can make a tape if 'mt status' says density 0 (default) or
0x13 (DDS), blocksize 0, but I can't read it.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to "tvf" the Sparc tape, as it errors off with
st0: block wrong size, 32 blocks residual

Perhaps an indication that the KB per dump record is off/incompatible?
I'm just guessing, and this portablility issue is not critical: I'd just
like to be able to TOC a dump tape made off Solaris, not restore it.

I prefer your parameters (same as I used on Sparc20, taken from a Conner
or Sony tech note).  I'll probably play with this some more to see how
efficient I can get the tape usage.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far; this list leads where others but
follow.

best regards,
larry