Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:44:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/36773: Unclear/inconsistent instructions in Handbook section 19.4.3

>Number:         36773
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Unclear/inconsistent instructions in Handbook section 19.4.3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD horsey.gshapiro.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #6: Fri Mar 1 21:45:03 PST 2002 gshapiro@horsey.gshapiro.net:/src/FreeBSD/RELENG_4/obj/src/sys/HORSEY i386

Here are excerpts and my commentary (indented) on section 19.4.3 of the
handbook:

19.4.3 Update /etc/group

   : The title of the section is "Update /etc/group".  However, the
   : section describes the need for certain usernames and groups to
   : exist for a make world to succeed.  The title of the section is
   : misleading as it only mentions the group file.

There have been occasions when the installation part of ``make world''
has expected certain usernames or groups to exist. When performing
an upgrade it is likely that these groups did not exist. This caused
problems when upgrading.

   : Not only ``make world'', but also ``make installworld''

   : The first sentence says "usernames or groups".  The second sentence
   : only mentions "groups".  Missing usernames cause just as many
   : problems as missing groups.

The most recent example of this is when the ``ppp'' group (later renamed
``network'') was added. Users had the installation process fail for them
when parts of the ppp subsystem were installed using a non-existent (for
them) group name.

   : The new most recent example is the ``smmsp'' username
   : and group, both of which are needed for mtree to create
   : /var/spool/clientmqueue/.

The solution is to examine /usr/src/etc/group and compare its list of
groups with your own. If there are any groups in the new file that are
not in your file then copy them over. Similarly, you should rename any
groups in /etc/group which have the same GID but a different name to
those in /usr/src/etc/group.

   : You should also document merging /usr/src/etc/master.passwd using
   : vipw (so the database files are regenerated properly after the
   : users manually merge the new accounts).

>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:

See commentary above.