Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 07:44:57 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

Peter Mutsaers wrote in message ID
<87loisb709.fsf@plm.simplex.nl>:
> But the newer versions are quite a bit faster. I used to use Linux
> until recently and it uses 2.7.2 for everything, so it must be
> possible for FreeBSD too. It is a pity to ignore such easy performance
> gain.

It's POSSIBLE. Just a LOT of work to ensure that any new 2.7.x
``features'' (read: bugs) don't cause problems for the LARGE ammount
of code in FreeBSD (Remember, the /usr/src is on the order of 120Mb's
...)

It's about the only advantage to the way Linux is packaged (i.e. the
kernel is one bit, and you put the rest of what you want around
it). It's a lot less work for it to be migrated to a new compiler, as
the rest of the bits don't NECESSARILY have to be moved at the same
time to using the same compiler version.

Since it is likely that there will be ANOTHER release of GCC before
2.2 is out the door (and well before the code freeze starts) I'd
probably be more inclined to wait a while and take the new compiler
(2.7.3 I believe) if that is the road that is chosen.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.