Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:35:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      wo_shi_big_stomach <wo_shi_big_stomach@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating system version of OpenSSH

Phil Schulz wrote:

> If you can't afford to upgrade the base OS and you
do not want to
> install OpenSSH from the ports

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have no problem installing or
upgrading OpenSSH from ports. Indeed, that's all I
know how to do.

My question is how to upgrade OpenSSH as included with
5.2.1. If a ports install will do this, great.

The more general question is how to upgrade system
software, especially in cases where it's not included
in the ports collection.

--- "greg@grokking.org" <greg@grokking.org> wrote:

> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this but I
> believe rkhunter is
> just checking the version 3.6.1 and doesn't account
> for the 'p1' part
> which refers to a FBSD patch that corrected the
> vulnerability rkhunter
> is referring to.
>
> IOW, I don't think you need to update ssh on 5.2.1
> if your motive is
> merely that rkhunter flagged it.

OK, that's a relief, thanks.

Same question holds, though. If some system software
is actually vulnerable, what's the procedure to update
it?

thanks

/wsbs