Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 23:45:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> The problem with KOI-8 is that KOI-8 is a defacto standard, and is not
> accepted by international standards bodies.  Mostly because the most
> popular BBS software in the area picked it up instead of 8859-9.

The X Consortium finally agreed to accept koi8-r as a valid character
set/encoding.

:-)

Well, if we would rely on things like ISO, we wouldn't use IP etc.
and suffer from OSI/X.400 instead...

> The problem is not in the blank areas of the locale.
>
> In point of fact, the ANSI standards for terminal control sequences
> after ANSI 3.64 leave the codes in columns 0x80 and 0x90 to be used
> to represent 8 bit command sequence introducers, which are the same
> as an escape character followed by a character in columns 0x20 or 0x30.
> Because of this, KOI-8 as a character set is not compatible with post
> 3.64 ANSI terminal control sequence standardization.

Do you know KOI8-R?  It doesn't even touch those areas.  This is NOT
IBM's code page crime.  KOI8-R does basically use the same printable
characters like ISO-8859-*.  The most notable difference to the
ISO-8859-* fonts is that KOI has the upper/lower case reversed for
some obscure reason.

> Really, they should be using the 8859 character set instead of KOI-8,
> but there is understood to be a large historical investment in the
> non-standard KOI-8 representation (unfortunately).

You're sounding like the OSI protagonists when they started the German
educational network project (WiN) here. :-)

--
cheers, J"org