Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 13:21:08 -0500
From:      "Wes" <klaymen@ev1.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation trouble

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEA6B1.736FEDD0

I downloaded the 3.1 release of FreeBSD and was installing it when I =
think a made a mistake. My original configuration on a 486 with 16mb =
RAM, functioning as a file server, was:
=20
c:\   162mb HDD running Windows 95 and MS-Dos shell 5.0
d:\   1.7GB HDD holding data
e:\   1.0GB SCSI HDD holding data
f:\   1.0GB SCSI HDD holding data

I wanted to leave win95 and dos on the small drive (c:\), and set up a =
boot menu to direct the computer to the 1.7GB drive (d:\) where FreeBSD =
would be located. I installed the Boot Menu first and then re-ran the =
instalation program. In the drive section, I told it to allocate itself =
250mb off of the 1.7GB drive, which I can only guess it did. I received =
a fatal error that made me restart the computer. Now when I boot up, I =
receive the FreeBSD boot menu (F1 for dos, F5 for drive 1) , as =
expected. When F1 is pressed (DOS), Win95 boots up like normal, except, =
now I cannot see the 1.7GB drive or any of it's data. When I hit F5 =
(drive 1) from the boot menu, it tells me I have an Invalid Partition =
Table. (note: BIOS still sees the drive)

My question is this: how can I get back the data on the 1.7GB drive and =
restore my computer to it's original working order?=20
I still want to install FreeBSD, but not on the same drive. I have =
decided to reformat the small drive (162mb) and devote it to running dos =
and FreeBSD, but I DO NOT want to have to reformat the 1.7GB drive. It =
holds a lot of data that I want to keep. The 1.7GB drive is a Western =
Digital that uses EZdrive to boot up (I think this may have something to =
do with the problem). I would like to delete the FreeBSD boot menu and =
the 250mb Partition that I assume the installation created, so that I =
may get back to normal, from which I can then proceed.
=20
Thank-you for your time and please reply!
=20
Wes Thomas
klaymen@SPAMKILLERev1.net (take out the SPAMKILLER when replying)

"Listen to your heart, not the voices in your head."

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEA6B1.736FEDD0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I downloaded the 3.1 release of FreeBSD =
and was=20
installing it when I think a made a mistake. My original configuration =
on a 486=20
with 16mb&nbsp;RAM, functioning as a file server, was:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>c:\&nbsp;&nbsp; 162mb HDD running =
Windows 95 and=20
MS-Dos shell 5.0</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>d:\&nbsp;&nbsp; 1.7GB HDD holding =
data</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>e:\&nbsp;&nbsp; 1.0GB SCSI HDD holding=20
data</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>f:\&nbsp;&nbsp; 1.0GB SCSI=20
HDD holding data</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wanted to leave win95 and dos on the =
small drive=20
(c:\),&nbsp;and set up a boot menu to direct the computer&nbsp;to the =
1.7GB=20
drive (d:\) where FreeBSD would be located. I installed the Boot Menu =
first and=20
then re-ran the instalation program. In the&nbsp;drive section,&nbsp;I =
told it=20
to allocate itself 250mb off of the 1.7GB drive, which I can only guess =
it did.=20
I received a fatal error that made me restart the computer. Now when I =
boot up,=20
I receive the FreeBSD boot menu (F1 for dos, F5 for drive 1) , as =
expected. When=20
F1 is pressed (DOS), Win95 boots up like normal, except, now I cannot =
see the=20
1.7GB&nbsp;drive or any of it's data. When I hit F5 (drive 1) from the =
boot=20
menu, it tells me I have an Invalid Partition Table. (note: BIOS still =
sees the=20
drive)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My question is this: how can I get back =
the data on=20
the 1.7GB drive and restore my computer to it's original working order?=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I still want to install FreeBSD, but =
not on the=20
same drive. I have decided to reformat the small drive (162mb) and =
devote it to=20
running dos and FreeBSD, but I DO NOT want to have to reformat the 1.7GB =
drive.=20
It holds a lot of data that I want to keep. The 1.7GB drive is a Western =
Digital=20
that uses EZdrive to boot up (I think this may have something to do with =
the=20
problem). I would like to delete the FreeBSD boot menu and the 250mb =
Partition=20
that I assume the installation created, so that&nbsp;I may get back to =
normal,=20
from which I can then proceed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank-you for your time and please=20
reply!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wes Thomas<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:klaymen@SPAMKILLERev1.net">klaymen@SPAMKILLERev1.net</A> =
(take out=20
the SPAMKILLER when replying)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Listen to your heart, not the voices =
in your=20
head."</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BEA6B1.736FEDD0--