Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:03:03 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ATA drives with ATA66 (?) controller

At 09:23 21.01.00 +0100, you wrote:

>> >Thanks a lot for your note. Maybe I missstated my problem:
>> >my drive works great with W98, but is not recognized by FBSD.]
>> >Any thoughts on what I might do (besides sending the drive/controller
>> >to you:=>)
>>
>FreeBSD is quite a bit more picky that Windows when it comes to IDE jumper
>settings. On the back (or PCB) of your drive (and your cd players too)
>you'll find the master/slave and the CS jumpers. In many cases just setting
>the master/slave properly will satisfy Windows, but FreeBSD wants you to set
>CS properly as well.
>
>Does anyone know what CS stands for (Cable Select?) and what it is for?
Hi!

Yes, CS stands for cable select. Originally used by old drives, where the
cabling told them who was master and slave, this jumper exists on modern
drives only due to some "compatibility" reasons, until ATA/66 came up.
In normal mode, you _had_ to set the CS jumper to disabled and set via
MAster/Slave jumper the right combo.

The ATA/66 cabling has also CS feature (Principally like with the FDD
cabling, with some pin assignment)built in, so the cable will tell the
drives again what they are. If you use a 40-pin standard cabling with them,
or mix something (like CDROMs, that often cannot do even DMA modi), it will
a) mess up certain things, as it still is cheapo IDE, and therefore not
designed nor intended to run really well, and b) you will have to tell them
again manually what to do via jumpers/BIOS settings.

Problems are also caused in wide areas with unstable or too early Mainboard
BIOSes.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)