Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jason Evans wrote:

> As has been alluded to in some of Jordan Hubbard's email, Sun
> Microelectronics (SME, the processor division of Sun) recently discussed
> paying FreeBSD core to officially support a port of FreeBSD to SPARC.
> These plans fell through in some way (I wasn't part of the discussion, so
> I don't know details), but SME is having me work on the port.  I'm a
> full-time employee of SME, and estimate that I can spend 30-35 hours per
> week of my work week on the SPARC FreeBSD porting effort (plus whatever
> personal time I spend).

Wow, this sounds really neat.  You probably want to ask the guys who were
starting on the stalled alpha port what directory structure they had
agreed on.  Seeing as they probably had to answer exactly the kind of
questions of source layout you're going to have to solve before you really
get to coding, and their answers probably were run by some part of core to
begin with, that's short circuit some things.

I would also be a little curious about the availability of sparc hardware
for hobbyist folk.  Few of us can afford $10K servers, but what other kind
of more modest setups might be available?  I know you probably aren't a
walking database of such things, but if you come up with occaisonal
pointers to folks selling motherboards that might fit into pc cases, and
maybe  use PCI, and the location of sparc docs on the web, it'd be nice to
post such things.  I'd read them, and probably lots of others would too.
It's likely (working where you do) that you'd be more likely to fall into
that kind of info than I would.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |