Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:32:28 -0800
From:      Paul <paul@netpacq.com>
To:        Troy Kittrell <troyk@basspro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: test

At 12:06 AM 12/22/98 -0600, Troy Kittrell wrote:
>Rule #1 on FreeBSD (not necessarily a slam against Linux): Don't put a
>FreeBSD boot.flp disk in the machine and reboot it unless you *really*
>want a real Unix server. I've yet to have a FreeBSD (ftp) install fail.
>It was only last week (with Redhat 5.2 on CD) that I've ever had a Linux
>install complete without incident.

So this is why people say use FreeBSD... -:)))

> DNS: 8.x without question!!! Why? It's the future. I can write BIND 4.x
>zone files blindfolded, but no longer have the time to learn the 8.x
>format. Which brings me to the next subject: I've found a wonderful
>program(s) (webmin) that makes administration of most of the functions
>of an Internet server a breeze, including DNS 8.x, Sendmail 8.9.1 and
>many others. I've run it under Digital Unix 3.2c & 4.0b, Solaris 2.5.1 &
>2.6, FreeBSD 2.2.7 & 3.0 as well as Linux (Redhat 5.2) 2.0.38 kearnel.
>Worked fine every time (with Perl 5.004+)! It's basically a perl-based
>web server that provides an "HTML interface" to all of the
>administrative functions (via a *bunch* of perl scripts) you could ask
>for. I've pecked at it a little from a security standpoint and can't
>find any holes short of DOS attacks, but that's not to say it isn't 100%
>secure. Take a look at www.webmin.com, install it and see for for
>yourself. And no, I receive absolutely nothing for this endorsement
>besides helping someone else as webmin has helped me.

Right on!!, not that I was'nt looking forward to using pico.. -:)))

 FreeBSD is so easy
>to install & configure, and can make an old 486 PC so useful again that
>I found I had too many of them installed as servers to effectively
>manage by myself. Webmin has gone a long way in making management of
>these machines easier.

Too cool, I will check it out.

>Paul wrote:
>>
>> Very funny...
>>
>> I need to startup a Dns server under Free BSD.
>>
>> It makes me sad to say NT,  can not handle my up and coming domain needs.
>>
>> The right product for the job is what I allways say.
>>
>> With that in mind, I have started the move to put up a Freebsd server here,
>> NS3.NETPACQ.NET, I dont want to F^*% around with internic and my current
>> DNS servers, so I will simply put up a 3rd, server and take my time
>> replacing NS!, and NS2.
>>
>> I joined this list in the hopes that some kind souls will help me in this
>> new venture!, I did 6 months of admin on BSD at <plug>
>> http://www.ixpres.com </plug>, But do not as of yet know how to install and
>> configure a Free BSD box from scratch.
>>
>> I have a working understanding of Bind 4.xx and Look forward to bind 8.xx
>> on BSD.
>>
>> I will ask stupid, beginner questions, but then I am new to installing BSD.
>>
>> At 04:51 AM 12/22/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> >Haha, very funny. There is no need to test in a public mailinglist. And
>> >according to your sig you should have rather sent it to
>> >helpdesk@microsoft.com.

Best regards,
Paul Jacobs
Commerce Service Provider (CSP)
Internet Presence Provider (IPP)
http://www.netpacq.com
mailto:paul@netpacq.com
"We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile.
 You Will Be assimilated"