Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:55:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        thyerm@camtech.net.au
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, tlambert@primenet.com, jlemon@americantv.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

> Now a command line only boot of Windows 98 (i.e. hitting F8 before
> Windows boots and choosing command line only from the menu) cannot
> run fbsdboot.exe without the crash just as I feared.
> I'm sorry Mike but your answer "boot from a floppy" wont be any
> good when everyones floppies have been formatted with Windows 98!

A fixit floppy would be perfectly useful.

For serious experimenters who (a) manage to, through experiments,
completely trash their HDDs, and (b) manage to, through fsdb or other
options, recover it:

I recommend keeping a box next to the computer as an emergency box.
(Mine only differs slightly from the one described here.)  It
contains:

1. A Win95 boot disk with fdisk, format, sys, xcopy, and a few other
   similar tools, a CD-ROM driver, Norton's Disk Edit, and your tape
   restore program (this may have to be split into several disks);

2. A FreeBSD fixit disk;

3. Forefront Troubleshooter, a hardware diagnostics program;

4. A few bolts, jumpers, and one each of the vital cables;

5. A $20 bill;

6. A small (1.25 lb capacity) halon 1211 fire extinguisher;

7. Final contengency backups (inflatable bat, abacus, and
   Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream gift certificate).

In a separate box I keep my backup tapes, as well as a floppy with a
recent copy of the Win95 registry, vital .ini files, autoexec.bat and
config.sys, the FAT, and the directory tree (with LFNs and cluster
numbers).  The floppy used to get updated every week, but now it only
gets updated once a month.  (If I use Win95 that often.)  If you have
to use the floppy, you're probably in worse shape than you ever want
to be again.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--