Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:48:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

> Hi!
> ---
>
> Nate Williams writes:
>
> ] > But another problem is still going on on that machine. During boot there
> ] > are several occurences of "stray irq 7" messages until syslog says it would
> ] > not log them anymore. I have no idea where this stray irq's should happen.
> ] > Physically there is no adaptor card installed which could ever generate a
> ] > IRQ 7 ? Possible that this has to do with the other thing?
> ]
> ] This is a pretty good indication that something is mis-confugred.  IRQ 7
> ] is the 'junk' interrupt, which means it gets all of the interrupts not
> ] otherwise assigned to a particular piece of hardware.  Something is
> ] generating interrupts on your system bogusly and you need to find out
> ] what.
>
> That means the interrupt that happens is not guaranteed to be IRQ 7 but
> maybe any other unassigned interrupt?
>
> The only cards I have installed in this machine are the following:
>
> IDE/FDC controller card (without any other ports etc)

Many of these are norious for glitching IRQ lines...

> Multi I/O card with COM1 COM2 LPT(completely disabled including IRQ) and
> Gameport (also disabled)
>
> Dual I/O card with COM3 and COM4
>
> standard ET4000 video board

And I bet you a $1.00 this puppy is generating IRQ2/9 and causing you
grief as a conflict with sio2...

> Ethernet adaptor (ISA 16 bit software configurable)

These too...

> ----
>
> The kernel seems to find all those devices:
> sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 9 on isa
> sio2: type 16550A

Check your ET4000 for an IRQ jumper, if it does not have one check the
connector on the board to see if a trace is connected to the IRQ2 signal
(pin B4).