Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 15:17:29 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building modula3 port

> A bug in cvsup ?!
>
> Look:
>
> freefall.freebsd.org has the following patches for graphics/xpaint
> in the patches subdir:
>
> andreas@freefall 67% ll
> total 10
> drwxrwxr-x  2 swallace  ncvs   512 Sep 29 15:59 ./
> drwxrwxr-x  5 swallace  ncvs   512 Sep 29 15:59 ../
> -r--r--r--  1 asami     ncvs  2423 Jun 15 02:51 patch-aa,v
> Just recently I used your cvsup to update my local cvs repository.
> This is the xpaint/patches directory in my local CVS directory:
>
> andreas@klemm{744} /local/CVS/ports/graphics/xpaint/patches ll
> total 8
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2423 15 Jun 02:51 patch-aa,v
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   886  2 Jan  1995 patch-ab,v
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  1834 29 Mär  1995 patch-ac,v
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   733  2 Jan  1995 patch-ad,v
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  1006  2 Jan  1995 patch-ae,v
>
> The patch-aa seems to be the same, but the patch-ab - patch-ae files
> weren't removed.

I think I know what's going on.  It's not really a bug.

First of all, what _are_ those files "patch-a[b-d],v" on your
system?  Are they really patches for xpaint?  Why don't they exist
in the CVS repository?  Even if they had been removed with "cvs
rm", they should still exist in the Attic.

I will assume that they really are old patches, and that somebody
erroneously deleted them from the CVS repository, instead of using "cvs
rm" as they should have done.  Still, I think CVSup did the right thing.
Here is what I think was the sequence of events:

1. The patches existed both in the main repository, and in your local
copy.

2. Somebody deleted the patches from the main repository, but they
remained in your local repository.

3. You started using CVSup for the first time.

In that case, CVSup would consider "patch-a[b-e],v" to be extra,
unknown files in your local repository.  It didn't create them,
and there's no trace of them in the master repository.  It doesn't
know anything about them -- and so it won't delete them.  It will
never delete anything that it doesn't know about.

That's what I think happened.

John