Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:22:02 -0400
From:      "Carlton Haycock" <chaycock1@mindspring.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfilter vs ipfw

Hello,

I am in the process of building a firewall using FreeBsd.  I am aware of the firewall
built into the kernel (ipfw), but I also see alot of people talking about another package
called IPFILTER.  I have seen comments stating that IPFILTER is better, but no one
has yet to say why or why they prefer it.  I would be most appreciative if someone
could give a brief overview of the differences as far as functionality is concerned.
I have read the how-to's and stuff on FreeBsd Diary but can find nothing that does
a comparison of the two.

Thanks,
Carlton