Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:57:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        brain_damaged <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, brain_damaged wrote:

> I was on onlamp.com and in the articles the writer uses the below to install his ports. I know what the cd / means.
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/tcpshow
>
> however what does the next line mean/do ?
>
> make install clean
>
> I did a MAN Make and MAN install but did not
> get what info I wanted. And all that is is what does
> make install clean
> mean ?
> do ?
> Thanks
> bd

Hello,

The "make" compiles the port, the "install" installs it, and "clean"
cleans up everything in the subdirectories and helps to conserve disk
space. You can run them all at once using "make install clean" or you can
do a "make", "make install", and "make clean" separately. The details are
in the handbook at:

www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-using.html

Cheers,

Dru