Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 11:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw/nat/network question

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Michael Maxwell wrote:

> I have attached a copy of my /etc/rc.firewall.  I would like any advice
> I can get on how to proceed with this....
>
> I need to get machines on my local network (192.168.16.0) to talk to the
> 'net through the FreeBSD machine (192.168.16.1, inside).  I'm simply stuck
> on this one... I don't know how to get natd working properly with this;
> if I enabled natd on here, it blocks connections to/from my LAN, etc...

You probably misconfgured the firewall.  Try setting the firewall to
'open'.  It's OK to do this since natd will not forward packets that are
not associated with an existing connection or mapping.

If you're not married to pppd, user-mode ppp has an -alias option that
sets everything up automatically.

Doug White